Just 4 hours from Minneapolis, Northern Lights Lodge and Resort is located on the eastern end of Bear Island Lake near the entrance of the Bear Island River. The Resort is located on 30 acres within the Superior National Forest and we have over 2,500 feet of shoreline. Bear Island Lake is 10 miles Southwest of Ely or 5 miles from Babbitt on County Highway 21.
Directions from 35W North (bypassing Duluth):
- travel to Highway 33--the Cloquet exit;
- travel Interstate 53 to/thru Eveleth and Virginia;
- take Highway 169 North to Tower/Ely (not the Hibbing Exit);
- travel 169 into Ely, at the traffic light (Central Avenue) turn right;
- Central Avenue becomes Highway 21 outside of town.
The Resort is located approximately 10 miles Southwest of Ely. Our Resort sign and driveway will be on your right hand side. The driveway to the Lodge is just under a mile long and winds and rolls through the woods. Please observe our posted speed limit of 10mph!
Follow the driveway all the way in--the Lodge office is the first building you will arrive upon. Once you arrive, please check in at the office.
The directions above are the most direct (easiest) however, there is a short cut which can reduce your travel time by approximately a half hour. Our Short Cut Directions:
- once on Highway 169, take a right hand turn onto Highway 21 (immediately after the Silverado Saloon);
- at the stop sign (Four Corners Gas Station), go straight;
- travel through Embarrass;
- travel through Benville;
- as you see the Welcome to Babbitt sign and the Babbitt Golf Course (on your right) start to slow down and watch for the LEFT HAND TURN to stay on Highway 21;
- you missed the turn if you see speed signs for 50MPH and 45MPH!
Once you make the Highway 21 turn, the Resort is approximately 5 miles down the road. Our driveway will be on your LEFT now BEFORE our resort sign.